Here to Serve… Not to Judge!

Here to Serve…
Not to Judge!

ORLANDO: 407-800-2000
TAMPA: 813-999-2170

Over 60 million tourists visited the beaches of Florida in just the first half of 2017. As this number has continued to grow more and more each year, it’s no surprise that some vacationers run into issues with the law during their care-free visit.

If your Florida fun led to unexpected charges, you may be unsure how to handle proceedings. Here are a few key things to help you deal with an out-of-state charge.

Don’t ignore it!

Even if your residency is all the way in Hawaii, the law can still catch up with you if you don’t acknowledge your charges.

Depending on your state residency, extradition can be enforced if there is a warrant out for your arrest. Extradition involves one state jurisdiction delivering a person who has pending charges in another jurisdiction to law enforcement officials of that jurisdiction. You may face heightened charges for failing to acknowledge your offense.

Use a stand-in lawyer for misdemeanors

Most out-of-state misdemeanor charges offer the option to have an attorney appear in court on your behalf. However, any sentences resulting from the case’s conclusion will need to be served by the defendant.

When you have to appear in court

Similarly to misdemeanor charges, a local attorney who is well-versed in Florida law can represent the defendant in court for felony charges. However, as felony charges are more serious than misdemeanor charges, a defendant may be required to post bail or appear in court.

Get help as soon as possible

To prevent further legal issues, the best course of action to take after being charged for an out-of-state offense is to do your research to find local attorney who can help. If your offense was in Florida, lawyers under the Figueroa Law Firm can offer great experience, knowledge and defense strategies for these types of cases.

After hearing the details of your case, we can help guide you through expectations you should have for proceeding procedures and how to fight for the best outcome to your case.